I: 22 Mar 1793 - 8 May 1853
Extractors: Margaret L.
Buxton, Donald S. Dreesen, Felipe Mirabal and Lila Armijo
Volume II: 11 Feb 1847 - 12 Jun 1881
This volume contains the translated transcriptions of
AASF Films POS (positive film) #118 and #119. Abbreviations and phrases.
Indexes, map of the area. Spiral binding.
NMGS Press Item #A12, 1999. 581 pages, $50.00.
Extractors: Donald S. Dreesen
and Lila Armijo Pfeufer.
(Excerpts, from Vol II)
The Archdiocese of Santa Fe original baptismal records were used by the extractors of these records. These records are closed to the general public. The microfilmed copies of these records are Reels POS (positive film) numbers 118 and 119, which are available only at the Archives of the Archdiocese and the New Mexico State Records Center and Archives. (See Records on this web site for addresses.)
The records in Reels #118 and #119 were filmed without frame numbers and with few page numbers.They were also filmed out of order.
Fortunately, someone did number the pages in the original records after they were filmed. Apparently, some of the records were in loose sheets most of which have now been put in chronological order and bound. Also, most of the 1856, 7, 8 , and 9 records were grouped together for filming. Most of the 1860 records are also grouped together within the years filmed, but some did get mixed in with the 1850s. See below. The 1870 records were filmed mostly in order.
We have published the records in the order in which they were filmed, considering that an individual record might be easier to find if published in the order it appears in the film. This decision was made with agreement of the committee with whom we work. These records were very frustrating to work with because of the strong desire to put them in order. Most of the dates are extremely clear.
Both POS Reels 118 and 119 are also
There is much more step by step information about these two confusing reels in this section.Use the book as your guide. The reels were featured in an article titled "Treasure Hunt" written by this author which was published in the March 1999 New Mexico Genealogist, 38:l, p. 9.
(from Vol I)
Tomé, as it is known today, was originally settled about 1660 by Tomé Dominguez de Mendoza, the son of a Spanish officer of the same name who had come north to Nuevo Mexico with Juan de Oñate in 1598. The younger Tomé was commissioned into the Spanish Army and eventually achieved command as Lieutenant Governor of the New Mexico Colony. About 1659, he received from Governor Lopez de Mendizabel an encomienda to the area south of Isleta. This placed the local Indian population under his control. He was responsible for their safekeeping and Christianizing, and, in turn, he could use their services as partial compensation for their dept to the crown for protection and other services that the crown performed.
The Dominguez family established an estancia west of El Cerro de Tomé and appeared to have good relations with the Isleta Indians. However, during the Pueblo Revolt of 1680, thirty-eight members of the Dominguez family were killed and the survivors were forced to flee south to El Paso del Norte. Although Tomé chose not to come back, his son Juan attempted to return with Governor Otermin but retreated when the entrada failed. The Dominguez family did not return after the reconquest by de Vargas in 1680 and the lands remained vacant.
In 1739, a group of Genízaros, Indians who had adopted Spanish ways, culture, and language, petitioned Juan Gonzales Bas, the alcalde mayor of Alburquerque, for permission to settle the area known as "Lo de Tomé," or Tomé's Place. The grant was aproved July 30, 1739.
The first order of business was to build a church. Permission to build the church was granted in 1742 with the structure being completed in 1750 and dedicated in 1754.
Tomé, as it came to be known, continued to develop as a community. The area was largely dependent on agriculture, though with the Camino Real traveling through Tomé, the community was albe to keep abreast of events and material culture outside of the area. Additionally, many of the men of the area became employed as drivers, herders, etc., initially on the Camino Real and later on the Santa Fe Trail.
With the American takeover of New Mexico in 1846 came not only political change but also a religious jurisdictional change as well. Until the Anglo-American takeover, New Mexico had been under the ecclesiastical jurisdiction of the Mexican Synod and the Bishop of Durango. In 1850, jurisdiction was transferred to the Council of Baltimore in the United States. Pope Pius IX appointed a young French priest, Fr. Jean Baptiste Lamy, to be the bishop of the newly formed New Mexico province.
Bishop Lamy, realizing the lack of priests in New Mexico, brought many young French priests, including Father Jean Baptiste Ralliere, "El Padre Eterno." Ralliere took over the parish of Tomé in 1858 at the age of 23 and continued to serve the parish for the next 55 years! Father Ralliere was active in local, state, and diocesan politics and helped the people through births, marriages, floods, droughts, and deaths, to say nothing of their religious development.
Throughout the years, Tomé was a political center of the Rio Abajo. It was the county seat for Valencia County, a county that stretched from Texas to California. It was also the postal distribution center for settlements from Alameda to Socorro during the Mexican period.
Today, though no longer the powerful community it once was, Tomé remains a thriving close-knit agricultural community whose strong religious character continues to encure.
The author, Dr. McDonald, greatly appreciates the works of John M. Taylor, "Our Lady of Guadalupe History Project, 1990," on which this introduction is based.
Other books by John M. Taylor are available through this web site at Bookstore.
Return to NMGS Press (list of books and order form).
These are publications A11 and A12.